As a full time student I know how it feels to eat on a budget – sad times yes. However, I recently discovered that it’s possible to make a delicious and easy stir fry that won’t hurt the bank. For just 7£ you can buy all the ingredients needed from Marks and Spencer’s – yes, you heard correctly, Marks and Spencer’s!
If I’m not mistaken, it’s a relatively new meal deal thats been introduced to the food chain, which is music to my ears. 7£ for essentially two meals (so basically 3.50£ per meal) can not be beaten – considering the ingredients are all from M&S, notoriously known for their premium pricing (if you ask students).
This particular stir fry (and recipe) is student friendly (and dummy proof) as it’s really quick to cook / make and requires minimal effort, perfect for lazy students like myself.
7£ buys you the following (and of course you will need these ingredients):
- A portion of your chosen noodles
- A portion of your chosen mixed vegetables (specifically for stir fry)
- A portion of your chosen protein (meat / fish)
- Your chosen stir fry sauce
In order to make this dish, (and in addition to the ingredients) all you need is:
- A wok (or a regular pan)
- Wooden spoon (obvs)
- 1tps of Olive Oil
It’s relatively easy to make and this is how I make mine…
- I start off by adding 1tbp of olive oil to my wok and adding in my Sliced Chicken Breast on a medium / hight heat. I then allow the chicken to cook (constantly stirring) until the outside has a golden coat (roughly 7 – 8 minutes).
- Then I add my bag of veggies, and allow to cook for around 2 minutes (occasionally stirring).
- I then add in my noodles. I mix in the noodles and leave to cook for another 2 minutes (again occasionally stirring).
- Finally I add my the stir fry sauce, again mixing in well and allow to cook until simmering.
And vowalaaaaa. You have a healthy(ish) stir fry which counts as one of your 5-a-day (an added bonus).
And yes, it does taste as good as it looks.
Not too bad if you ask me, it took all of 15 minutes to cook and required minimal effort, perfect to make after a long day of lectures!